Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Overdrive

I am an avid reader but I find my audiobook preferences very different from my reading preferences. The first difference is that I prefer listening to non-fiction rather than fiction. The second difference is that the acting skills of the performer can make or break my interest in listening. Jim Dale is my all time favorite performer.

Now on to Overdrive. I always like to try out our databases at home to see how that experience is different for our patrons. Downloading audiobooks is different with each service and there are little eccentricities to learn with each service. The primary problem that I have had with Overdrive has nothing to do with software but with the limited selections of books. So far I have only found one fiction book that I wanted to download and I had to wait months for my reserve to become available. This really takes the document delivery aspect of audiobooks away from Overdrive. I fared better this time choosing a non-fiction title which became available in less than a week.

No comments: